Monday, March 3, 2014

Adding Fulfillment to My Days

Ever wonder whats's next in your life? I'm at that point in mine. As some may know, I'm now legally disabled and spend the majority of my time at home, both by choice and necessity. When I do go out and do things, I risk getting a migraine or putting myself into a bad flare. Granted, I can get a migraine or flare while sitting at home, there's really no rhyme or reason. Since I've stopped working, I've been in a holding pattern waiting on the decision for disability. Now that I have my answer and know that I'll likely never work in a job again, I need to figure out what the next part of my life will entail. I feel a lot like my old self has died. However, I haven't died, I just need to figure out what and how I'm going to spend the rest of my life, which is hopefully very long.
This makes me think about the things I enjoy doing, that don't involve leaving my home. I've always been a homebody, so being home a lot doesn't bother me. In fact, I rather prefer it. When I do enjoy going out, it's for fun things like running to my local antique mall, a trip to Whole Foods, or to eat out at my favorite Thai restaurant. However, those aren't daily activities, perhaps once a month, so I need to start focusing on things I can do at home that I enjoy. The longer I stay at home and not focus on the things that I enjoy, tends to make me lazy and feel useless. I want something to look forward to, even if it's something simple. Currently, my daily activity includes eating and watching a lot of TV. Granted, I love TV and have always been a TV junkie; I have 3 TV's and not ashamed to say it. However, I want my day to include more than just TV viewing. Obviously, some days all I feel like doing is watching TV, from bed. That's ok, but I want to try and push myself to do as much as I can, so that I don't become "lazy". But, I won't be mad at myself for not being able to do more, but I just want more fulfillment throughout my day.
The following are things I enjoy and I'd like to fill my day more frequently.
1. Writing. Whether it's blogging or writing a story, I definitely feel joy when I write. I get emails from Writer's Digest about short story contests. I'd like to submit a story for review by the end of this year.
2. I do enjoy watching TV, but I'd like to watch more meaningful programs, such as documentaries. I do watch them now, but I'd like to learn about new things by watching them more frequently.
3. Spiritual Studies. I have always wanted to read the Bible. Even though I consider myself spiritual, I have never fully read through the Bible. This is something I'd like to accomplish. I'd also like to get back to meditation and praying the Rosary. I always feel a calmness over me when I do these things.
4. I love watching court trials. I'd like to follow more trials and enjoy providing feedback on twitter and facebook.
5. I definitely need to increase my reading time. I love reading books, but sadly I've got myself out of this habit. Not reading is a very bad habit!

If I could bring these 5 things into my daily, monthly habits, I am almost positive it will make me a much happier person. It may not seem like much to some, but for me, it's everything!

1 comment: